7.26.2010

Driftless Organics





A few summers ago I took an urban organic farm class. It was then that I first learned about community supported agriculture (CSA) programs. CSA programs allow people to buy into a farm to receive vegetables/fruits, usually weekly for the duration of the summer. Last summer my friend, Lori, bought a CSA share from the Driftless Organics farm. I lived through her CSA experience, and knew that I wanted to buy a share this year.
Fast forward to today. My co-worker and I are splitting a share this summer. Our box of weekly "essential vegetable goodness" is delivered to the neighborhood co-op for pick-up on Fridays. I love opening the box and seeing all that's in it - it's like a getting a present each week. Each box comes with a newsletter that states the contents of the box, how to store the veggies of the week, and has some (very appreciated) recipe ideas - let's be honest, I'm looking for some ideas by the end of the week.
I've also had the good pleasure of going to the farm - it's very close to where my dad lives in WI. Mike, one of the Driftless Organics farmers, spent a morning with my dad, brother, sister-in-law, and me last August - he took us around to all of their different fields, and also shared with us some of their farming practices and philosophies.
Good stuff.
I am so appreciative that I can live in the city and still eat high-quality, organic produce that comes from people I know and from land that I know - this is what we call a win/win/win situation.

The third photo shows two vegetables I was not familiar with until this summer - garlic scapes and yellow patty pan squash. The newsletters explain how to cook with these uncommon veggies.
The fourth photo is of a recipe that came in last week's newsletter, Toasted Sesame Napa Salad.

http://www.driftlessorganics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment