12.13.2010

it's TOFFEE time





I got this recipe from my Aunt Char over ten years ago - thank you, Aunt Char! It's a favorite of mine (and some of my friends). I know it's Christmas time when I start making toffee - the first round was last weekend.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
36 2x2-inch saltine crackers
11.5 oz milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Makes 3-4 dozen - or enough for one family for one day. :-)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover 10x15-inch cookie pan (with sides) with foil and butter lightly. In small saucepan over medium-high heat, blend butter and brown sugar. Heat to boiling and boil for 4 minutes. Place single layer of saltines on foil close together. Pour butter mixture over crackers, spreading evenly. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Allow to soften and spread evenly over cooked crackers. Sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate until cool (at least 4 hours). Break into pieces (I use a pizza cutter), and store in container in fridge for up to 2 weeks (not likely it'll last that long).

2 comments: